Old picture postcards of the seaside town of Minehead, Exmoor, Somerset

Old Picture Postcard

Books on West Somerset

Old Picture Postcard

More Old Postcards

Interactive Map of Minehead

old postcards of Minehead, Somerset

previous old Minehead postcard


An old 1950s postcard view of the Promenade / Esplanade, and North Hill, Minehead

Minehead on Old Postcards

Click the arrows to see all the postcards in this Minehead collection.

An online collection of more than 50 old postcards of the seaside town of Minehead

If you have a question about Minehead and/or the History of Minehead; photographs or picture postcard scans you'd like to add to this online archive, please make contact.

next old Minehead postcard



Basic information on Minehead sourced from an out-of-copyright 1901 encyclopaedia. 

MINEHEAD, a market town and seaside resort in West Somerset, in South Western England. Population of urban district (1901), 2511. The town has three parts: the Upper, built on the sides of a lofty foreland known as North Hill; the Lower; and the Quay Town, with many ancient houses, stretching for about a mile beside the harbour. It is much visited for the sake of its mild climate, the grand cliffs, moors and hills of the neighbourhood, and the beach, admirably suited for bathing. St Michael's, the parish church, has a striking Perpendicular tower, an arch of carved oak dividing its nave and chancel, a magnificent loft, and a 13th-century monument.

There is no evidence of the existence of Minehead (Mannheve, Manehafd, Mynneheved) in Roman or Saxon times. The town of Minehead owed its origin and growth to its position on the shores of the Bristol Channel, and its good harbour developed an oversea trade with Bristol, South Wales and the Irish ports. The Mohun family were overlords of the town from 1086 to the 14th century, when they were followed by the Luttrells, who are the present owners. It is possible that Minehead had a corporate existence during the 15th century, as certain documents executed by the portreeve and burgesses at that date are preserved, but no record of the grant of a charter has been found. A charter of incorporation given by Elizabeth in 1558 vested the government in a portreeve, a steward and twelve burgesses, the continuance of the corporation being subject to the port and harbour being kept in repair. This condition being unfulfilled, the charter lapsed in the reign of James the 1st, and an attempt to obtain its renewal in the 18th century failed. The corporation was replaced by two constables chosen annually in the court leet of the manor until 1894, when an urban district council was appointed. The borough returned two members to parliament from 1558 until disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. A weekly market on Tuesdays and a fair (Sept. 29 to Oct. 2) were held by the lord of the manor from the 15th century, but the date of the grant has not been found. In 1465 a second annual fair on the 1st of May was granted by Edward IV., which is still held on the Wednesday in Whitsun week. The other annual Minehead fair has been discontinued, and the market day has been changed to Wednesday. During the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries Minehead had a considerable coastal trade in wool, grain and wine, but began to decline owing to the migration of the woollen industry to the north of England, and to the decay of the herring fishery. A renewal of prosperity began when it acquired a reputation as a watering-place.

More about Minehead, Exmoor, the Quantock Hills, and West Somerset: Minehead; Minehead Walks; Exmoor; West Somerset Free Press (local newspaper); more links

Minehead dot Old Picture Postcard 2008

Old picture postcards of Minehead